Here are 6 things that you may not know about feet. Feet are important to us as they are the first point of contact for our ambulatory motion.
It is just that we normally don’t think about these things while we are walking around Calgary or standing in concrete buildings. Our feet are usually the last things on our minds, primarily because we don’t see them and that they are usually the furthest body part from our minds. However, when feet start to hurt, they usually hurt bad.
1. 26 Bones in the foot!
19 Bones in the forefoot
- The forefoot contains the five toes (phalanges) and the five longer bones (metatarsals).
5 Bones in the midfoot
- The midfoot is a pyramid-like collection of bones that form the arches of the feet. These include the three cuneiform bones, the cuboid bone, and the navicular bone.
2 Bones in the hindfoot
- The hindfoot forms the heel and ankle. The talus bone supports the leg bones (tibia and fibula), forming the ankle. The calcaneus (heel bone) is the largest bone in the foot.
2. In a Pair of Feet, there are 250,000 sweat glands!
These sweat glands may produce approximately half a pint of perspiration daily.
3. 4 Times Your Body Weight
When you run, the impact on your foot can be 4 X’s your body weight! Make sure you have support that is adequate for your foot! Or, foot problems could be around the corner!
Two standing orders in this platoon. One, take good care of your feet.
Two, try not to do anything stupid, like gettin’ yourself killed.
by: Lieutenant Daniel Taylor – Forrest Gump
4. Your Feet Get Bigger Throughout the Day!
Who knew! Your feet swell throughout the day. So, when is it best to go shoe shopping? In the afternoon or evening of course.
5. Walking – Best Exercise
Walking is an excellent exercise for your feet and it contributes to your general health by: improving circulation, contributing to weight control, and promoting all-around well-being.
6. 3 out of 4 people will have foot problems
That’s right, 75% of the population will experience a severe foot problem at some point in their lifetime. All the better to look after your feet. This can be started with a pair of custom foot orthotics!